Friday, October 10, 2008

Dignity

My writings on here regarding politics are restricted to the issues surrounding this economic crisis, sociology or other relevant topics. I would not even foray into politics at all were it not that government is so deeply complicit in this economic environment. Not just re lack of regulation either. Human rights? Individual liberties? Well, I have written of them often. They have nothing to do with politics. They are grounded in a concept of basic dignity that all people around the world should stand witness to.

My blog is often an outlet for my conscience. My writings are often ramblings, based on facts or professional remarks surrounding my experience or much of my quantitative work. But, they are often a reflection of my passions.

As a matter of principle, I feel compelled to make a statement regarding politics of the moment. Something has been upsetting me deeply. I have great admiration for both John McCain and Barack Obama. I believe(d) both were great men who truly have a desire to serve their country. Do they both have strong egos? Of course. Different beliefs? Yes. Neither makes either candidate either right or wrong. Their ideals are simply a reflection of their experiences.

The system is broken in Washington. It has been for a long time. It matters not because the future of America will not be determined by politicians. But, the future of politicians will most certainly be determined by the future of America. The petty political behavior we see is a result of multiple factors. One of the most important is that the times allow it. In other words, the U.S. has benefited from unprecedented economic vibrancy. With no real issues or challenges before the country, politicians exhibit their most basal and petty behavior. It is a generational problem that will truly only be vanquished when those who benefited from and created this petty behavior retire or are replaced in the leadership structure.

Recently, the Republican party has latched on to labeling Obama as associating with terrorists, intimating he is a terrorist and elements within the party even claiming he is a terrorist. This strategy has incited the most ugly of human behavior including jeers from McCain and Palin rallies that Obama should be killed. I believe the behavior of the Republican party borders on sedition and this misinformation is setting the seeds of hatred and violence. For a Presidential candidate or political party to even intimate smears of this magnitude against an opponent leaves me breathless. It's disgusting. It's vile. It appeals to the most basic of human emotions - fear. And, it provides cover for fringe elements in society to consider unconscionable acts. It's the worst of crimes against our way of life, the ideals of a free people and I feel compelled to express this because I am completely disgusted by it. And, until and unless people stand up for values we have no values. How often in history have we seen seemingly great societies show no value for human life? All because the voices of liberty, reason, compassion or dignity were never heard.
posted by TimingLogic at 4:38 PM