Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Call Your Congressperson And Demand A Public Option For Health Insurance

It looks like we are going to get a vote on health care reform quicker than I would have guessed some weeks ago. So, maybe I won't get my health care overhaul ideas up in time. We shall see. I will put them up though just to show you how absolutely absurd it is to believe political nitwits telling us this represents the best and only real options for health care reform. This plan has nothing to do with reform. It's really a mandated coverage bill. A gargantuan one at that.

That said, I haven't thought it through in any detail nor am I a Constitutional scholar but I have to wonder if the federal government, in particular, mandating the purchase of for-profit services has some issues with Constitutionality. This plan may end up being challenged in the courts. I am not thinking terribly clearly on this issue at the moment but I want to get this post up quickly.

If health care "reform" a term I use incredibly loosely, is going to pass or even has the chance of being passed in its current form yet this week, I believe Americans should have a chance to buy a not for profit health plan. That would be a Medicare-type plans.

So, if nothing else, if you agree, I would encourage you to call your Representative and Senator at (202) 224-3121. The switchboard will connect you. (Courtesy of Alan Grayson's advice.) And do it this week before a vote. I already called both of my representatives and told them I would work diligently to boot their asses out of office if they didn't include a public option. Well, I wasn't so crass. I didn't use that specific word but I clearly told them I would work to have them removed from office if they voted on any bill that did not include a public option.
posted by TimingLogic at 1:07 PM