Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Liberty Or Security?

Just a quick note about a story on Yahoo's home page today. I find this story rather bizarre and oddly coincidental given yesterday was Bonfire Night in Britain. Anyone see the V for Vendetta movie? The comic book (I believe comic book) adaptation of a fascist Britain arising from global volatility that is liberated by a modern day Guy Fawkes on Bonfire Night?

I must say that in an odd bit of irony, much of what has been laid out as warnings by our founding fathers and advocates of freedom are being tested around the globe. And, it isn't just fringe elements of society that are taking notice of disturbing trends. Volatility is indeed a real phenomenon. And, it does impact human behavior in a very significant and typically negative way. Putting RFID chips into school uniforms reeks of civil liberty abuses. What's next? A chip in my head? I'm sorry but that was approved five years ago. Since when is it the responsibility of the state or school to determine what is appropriate for my child? Remember the quote I posted on here some time ago?

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
--Benjamin Franklin
posted by TimingLogic at 1:47 PM